Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Looped

Well, c'etait le week-end de Pacques. Joyeuse Pacques! But what did I do? I fell terribly ill on Saturday (I blame the wind. Damn you, Mistral. Damn you...)

Consequently, I stayed in the house all weekend, only quitter-ing to get groceries on Sunday. So. True, I lacked physical stamina, or motivation, or any desire to be productive whatsoever. But what I did not lack this weekend (pas du tout)...was time. Had plenty of that.

And what do I do when I have plenty of time to kill? My favorite of all favorites? (Not really a question because everyone knows the answer)...



music.

Several accomplishments:

1. Listened to (and very much enjoyed) the following albums:

  • Hercules and Love Affair (self-titled)
  • Supergrass - Diamond Hoo Ha

2. Concluded that Fleet Foxes is my favorite new artist, and that "Mykonos" is one of my top 5 songs of the year, so far.

3. Renewed, confirmed, refreshed (reduce-reuse-recycle?) my love for Ryan Adams and Wilco.

  • Props for Wilco: Yankee Hotel Foxtrot - put it on again after a 2 or 3-week respite, and loved it just as much as I had upon first listens, thus confirming that it is, indeed, perfect. And that Wilco are wonderful.

  • Props for Ryan: A live performance of "Oh My Sweet Carolina," which brought me to tears (vraiment), thus prompting me to listen to all of Heartbreaker and Cold Roses (ya know, his two best), AND Whiskeytown's Stranger's Almanac and Pneumonia (classics). The verdict is in - all of those albums are fabulous.

My favorite of the four has to be Heartbreaker, though. Flawless.

And really, "Oh My Sweet Carolina" - that is why I will be smiling on May 18. Well, I'll be smiling on May 18 after I've been given food and a comfy bed. And 30 hours of sleep. Yeah.


4. Discovered the sickest rap song of 2008. By far. Props to Outkast, my long-time faves. Oh, and to these guys, for providing sampling material.


Big Boi, I'm not sure if "Royal Flush" references poker or plumbing, but whatever you and Raekwon and 3000 are doing in this song, it works.


C'est tout.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Home Theater, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://home-theater-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.